Monday, 20 April 2015

Wolds Way Day 4

Day 4 - 25.88miles - 41.65 km
Robeanne BnB >> Hessle

Up for 7ish I was so eager to get moving. We had about 25 miles to complete before sun down and we were so close to home. If we could get there before the end of the day we could sleep in real beds and have a a lie in tomorrow.  I had time to kill so got another shower, using the old towel which was hanging up in the bathroom. Then I headed through for breakfast which was amazing. A few other walkers were already seated in the large conservatory overlooking the large garden of lambs and chickens. A side table was full of cereals, fruit, yoghurt, juice it looked amazing, then we were able to order an english breakfast to our liking. I had a bowl of honey-cheerios cereal, packed an apple for later and got some bacon and toast. SO good! We then got chatting with a walking couple who had been on a few walking holidays; Spain, New Zealand, France and Corsica were a few places they mentioned. 

We set off walking at 9:30  and were hoping to make it back in one day, the thought of sleeping in an actual bed making me happy. It was a hot day already, we paused for sun cream and headed in and through Market Weighton again. This part was familiar and we reentered the hills of the Wolds for a final time. We had a mid morning break and chilled in the shade. Since we were getting closer to home the pathways and hills were beginning  to look familiar and this encourage us on. We hiked through Arras Farm, a farm where I’d first camped doing my Bronze DOE practise. We paused at the busy A1079 road but eventually a gap appeared enabling us cross. Walking on past wind turbines which spun and creating a soothing whirring sound. We found a lovely deserted valley in Newbald Wold and walk through it, the sun beating down on us. 

We took our lunch there and maintained a steady pace afterwards my feet at this point resigned to their fate. Buzzards circled overhead mimicking the sound of vultures. We cross the road leading towards Southcave and ascend the road up towards Mount Airy Farm with a pair of friendly border collies. Onwards we pass by Ellerker North Wold and pause beside St Andrew’s Church. We’ve both run dry on water so take it easy for the next part.

Brantingham comes next and we gingerly pace through Welton Dale valley. The surrounding area grows with familiarity and next we come across Welton and Melton and managed to maintain a decent conversation throughout the day. Of course this mainly consisted of;

What would you do if a Tyrannosaurus Rex burst through those trees over there?
What if a pack of Raptors did the same?
If you could drink anything right now what would it be?
Eat anything?
What are you going to do with your free day tomorrow if we make it back to night?
Think you’ll do any other long distance hikes after this?

Tom sped up with the strange conversation taking his thoughts off the pain. I was getting sore feet again but kept going playing old sega music from my phone.

We passed over the A63 and walked through Long Plant and by a scout camp. Soon North Ferriby slid into view and we walked through a forest talking of films, Tom recreating a scene from Star Trek First Contact which made him forget his aches and pains briefly.

Then we were stopped by a closed path, the route towards the foreshore was closed due to being re designed. I look for another way round even if it meant trespassing where we shouldn’t but it was hopeful, so we’d have to walk back through the woods. I scouted up ahead and tried to see if there was  a cut through, I saw a woman walking a dog turnoff and followed her. She lived locally and disappeared through a gate in her garden. Bugger, looks like we were walking the full route back to the other side and into the housing area to somehow find our way back onto the trail. Then amazingly the woman seem to sense our need and called out to me.

“Are you looking for a way through?” she asked

“O yes, the path to the foreshore is closed and we were hoping to get to the Humber Bridge before dark”

“Just nip through here” she smiled

“Thank you!” I gushed, I waved Tom over whose hobbling increased and we passed through into their garden and out the other side.
“We do have a guard dog” her husband pointed out rapping at the window, a large, long legged beast lifted his head lazily stared at us before returning to his slumber. We smiled and made our way out on the streets and determined the best route back to the trail. Only 4 miles left.
I remember the long stretch down Hessle foreshore leading to the bridge, frequent trains speeding by beside it. The sun was beginning to set and nights chill was creeping in the air. I was so glad we were going to make it, even at a snail's pace we were going to make it.

Tom was still pretty much dragging his leg, he needed hiking poles. I’d found some temporary chunky wood ones a few miles back which he’s tossed upon entering the town. Definitely a must for any future long-distance hiking routes.

I look ahead and could see the eight red beacons of the Humber Bridge twinkling in the darkening sky. A golden twinge lingers above the horizon behind us and a silver crescent moon was flung up into the sky. 3 miles, 2 miles, 1.5miles, 1 miles, we could taste it now, 0.5miles to go and bingo! Our pace (of 2 miles per hour) doubled in eagerness. The worn stone pillar stood beckoning us over, signalling the end of the walk and our sign that we could stop. We had done it!

No comments:

Post a Comment