Saturday, 18 April 2015

Wolds Way Day 2

Day 2 - 20.72 miles - 33.35 km
Wolds Way Caravan Site - Huggate Pub

I sleep ok, half aware of the other campers who may want to come in and use the kitchen at any given moment, - at least I’d been warm and inside for a few hours. I head back to the tent and pack up. Tom was already awake playing on his gameboy - his luxury item. Tent down, bathroom used, breakfast eaten and we were walking for half past nine. A little later than I would have liked but not a bad start to day 2 - 18 miles down, 63 to go.  

The sun is slow appear but finally breaks through the clouds. We head down a steep valley lined with gravel called Deep Dale Plant careful not to slip and we arrive in Winteringham. Onwards we plod and make our way back into the center of the Wolds and along the sheep filled valleys. We maintain a good pace for the first half of the day and have lunch at Wharram Percy, a medieval village. It is apparently the most well known medieval village in England and was continuously occupied for about 600 years. It is known to be founded around the 9th or 10th century and flourished between the 12th and early 14th centuries, when members of the noble Percy family lived in the village. But by the early 16th century it was almost deserted due to gradual abandonment and forced evictions. The ruined church is the last standing medieval building.

The church was still in good condition despite not having a roof. We had lunch there and sadly I’d pick up the wrong gas canister from the store so hot meals were off the menu and we chowed down on couscous rehydrated by orange juice. We apply sun cream and walk on with slower feet. We shimmed to the top of a valley for a whilie, hearing fake shotguns in the distance.
The wind had picked up annoyingly by now and  blew constantly at us. Tom’s knee was giving him pain and I look back to find where he was and saw him unable to straighten his left knee. I inwardly sigh knowing we had another 2.5 days to get through and with Tom “walking” like that would not be fun. I hung back waiting for him to catch up - You’re as fast as your slowest and as strong as your weakest Bossman’s my DOE instructor words floating into my head.

We walked on watching dark patches of speedy clouds scurrying over green pastures. We arrive over looking a little village called Thixendale which was a stunning place to live with the sun bathing. One farm looked amazing, green lawns with clucking chickens merrily waddling along, two border collies chilling happily in the grounds.  We walk through and collected a twix bar and magnum ice cream en route from a little womans converted conservatory before following the path back out into the hills. I remembered this area having walked through on my Bronze Duke of Edinburgh. 

We were eager to reach the end of our day and arrive in Huggate where a fabulous pub meal awaited us - this I’d checked out personally and found out that you could camp for free in the back beer garden if you brought a meal there. Our pace had slowed due to Tom's Knee so we walked at a reduced speed and time clocked on to half past 4. We free-walked up a steep valley after going slightly wrong and were corrected by the farmer of the field and his grandson along side him. We had about 9 miles more to go through valley scenes and entered a small town called Fridaythorpe. We see a sign for Huggate - 2.5 miles ahead. Up another hill and down a well kept avenue of pre-spring trees bloom trees, we descended into Huggate only to rise slowly up the road and into the heart of the village.

One step in front of each other we staggered towards the one pub aptly named the Wolds Inn. We immediately order drinks followed by two roast dinners. I opt for one with lamb and Tom a loin of pork. It was amazing! We were starving and the cook meal was heaven and precisely what we needed. Afterwards I got an amazing golden syrup sponge with ice cream for dessert.  Afterwards as per usual we sat dazed, enveloped by the pub heat and with full bellies. It was slowly getting cold outside and was wet having just rained. We needed to pitch the tent and all I wanted to do was roll out my sleeping bag in the carpeted toilet and sleep in there. After spending as much time as we could in the quiet bar area; Tom drinking half pints of various different ales and reading through the complimentary newspapers, I journalling. The pub eventually closed and we had to go outside like cats being put out for the night. I piled on the layers and hunkered down for bed. Thankfully it didn’t rain through the night and I slept through putting my waterproofs on for extra warmth.


No comments:

Post a Comment